Monday, September 28, 2009

A Good Cry

I once sang a solo at Trinity and one of the lyrics really came to mind the other day, "He traded a song for the tears and the sighs, broken dreams and goodbyes." I was young and still bullet proof so I sang the song and blazed right through the words. Tears, sighs, broken dreams and goodbyes seemed far away from my experience. The evening of Mom's birthday they seemed all too real. As I sat remembering the last year the tear count was pretty high. The hurricane, Mom's death, the job change, it all seemed overwhelming. I have spent the last couple of days in a little bit of a funk. But today, it was really funny, Blaine put on the Avenue Q CD and played the final song, "Everything in Life is only for now." It's a riotously funny song about how everything is moving and changing, no one is completely satisfied, and it's all okay because it's only for now. The cycle will turn again. Dawn is coming. Once more into the breach...

2 comments:

Vanessa Rogers said...

That was beautiful. thanks for sharing that.

DWR said...

Tim,
The sentiment is why I like the old hymn, "Great is Thy Faithfulness." It's in the the third line of the chorus, "morning by morning new mercies I see..."
Love ya!
Doug